008 steven gerrard -- c a p t a i n f a n t a s t i c

Kenny on Gerrard and West Brom, 22nd April 2012

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 22/4/2012, 21:59

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:
;gerrard

Kenny Dalglish revealed Steven Gerrard missed the 1-0 defeat to West Brom as a precaution as he reflected on another frustrating afternoon at Anfield.

Dalglish watched his side dominate proceedings for three quarters of a game which looked destined to end in nothing but a Liverpool victory.

However, a late Peter Odemwingie strike silenced Anfield and clinched three points for the Baggies on Roy Hodgson's return.

Dalglish said: "It's not just been one of those days; it's been like that seven or eight times here. After we won the Carling Cup, we came back and played Arsenal and we were brilliant. We got to the final last week after beating Everton and they came out today and were excellent again.

"It's great credit to the players that they continued to go at the opposition and they made chance after chance. The woodwork, again, wasn't our best friend.

"The players showed great resolve in the way they went about their work and because of that they made a lot of chances on goal but they just couldn't get a break.

"There's not much else that we can add to what we've said before so many times after a game at Anfield."

Steven Gerrard was not in the matchday squad on the day and Dalglish explained: "It was just a precaution. He'll be okay."

West Brom defended valiantly and their bravery paid off on a day when the Reds fashioned a multitude of chances but were unable to hit the back of the net. Andy Carroll, Luis Suarez, Maxi Rodriguez and Jordan Henderson all went close to breaking the deadlock.

"They just need a bit of luck I think," said Dalglish. "It sounds repetitive but it's not an excuse. We're not running away from something. It's not as if there's something drastically wrong. It is just a piece of good fortune that we need.

"I think you could go back over the old interviews and it'll be the same thing."

Fouls on Maxi Rodriguez and Daniel Agger prompted penalty appeals; however, both were waved away.

Dalglish added: "We can't dictate what decisions we get for and against us, can we? We've just got to try and keep doing what we're doing right.

"And they are trying to do most things right. But with any football team, it doesn't matter how good, bad or indifferent you are, you need a bit of good fortune with decisions. As I say, we just need to keep going."

Hodgson was afforded a warm welcome on his return to Anfield and the Baggies manager thanked the Liverpool faithful during his post-match press conference.

"I was very pleased about the warm reception," said Hodgson. "I thank the Liverpool fans for that - it was very courteous of them. I would have been a little bit disappointed if it had been otherwise because I've got a lot of respect for Liverpool fans.

"But it's always nice that they show that courtesy to me and I appreciate it."

www.liverpoolfc.tv

≈www  Top
0 replies since 22/4/2012, 21:59   20 views