008 steven gerrard -- c a p t a i n f a n t a s t i c

Kenny's pride at 'fantastic' Reds, 14th April 2012

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 14/4/2012, 17:53

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:
;gerrard

Kenny Dalglish believes he couldn't have asked for anymore from his players after they came from behind to secure a 2-1 victory over Everton at Wembley and book a place in the FA Cup final.

Andy Carroll headed home with four minutes remaining to set up a final meeting with either Chelsea or Tottenham at the national stadium next month.

Earlier, Luis Suarez had cancelled out Nikica Jelavic's opening goal after the Reds had made a powerful start to the second half to leave Dalglish delighted with the attitude of his charges.

The boss told his post-match press conference at Wembley: "I think the players that were out there - and the players that have made a contribution throughout the whole run in the FA Cup - have been fantastic for the football club.

"Their attitude, application and intent in getting that positive result from today's game was there for everybody to see.

"Whether it's deserved or not, people are going to have their own opinion on it - but everything needed to win a football game, we showed today as a team."

Liverpool had been unfortunate to find themselves going into half-time a goal down.

However, the Reds came flying out of the traps after the break and duly drew level through man-of-the-match Suarez before Carroll netted a deserved winner.

Asked what he'd said to his players in the dressing room during the interval, Dalglish replied: "They really never needed much (during the half-time teamtalk), we just pointed them in the right direction.

"They wanted to win the game. They'd got this far and wanted to go a step further.

"We started the game well, Everton scored and came into it, and then we picked up again just after half-time.

"As a group of players, and as a football club, I think it was fantastic. Although it's not been too good over the past few weeks in the league, that is now two cup finals (this season) - one we've won and the other one we're now looking forward to. That gives everybody who supports Liverpool Football Club a lift.

"We've got a great deal of respect for David Moyes and Everton Football Club, and coming from the same city as ourselves we're not sitting here gloating - but we're very proud and pleased it's us in the final."

Dalglish was eager to praise the mentality of his players having endured a difficult run in the Barclays Premier League.

However, the manager is keen for Liverpool to amass as many points as possible before the end of the campaign to ensure they head into the FA Cup final in good form.

"It's testimony to everybody's character at the football club," said Dalglish. "They've held themselves together, held their resolve and they've come back and responded very positively to what has not been a great period in the football club's history.

"It's not time for us to sit down and individualise performances and go through each and everybody that was on the pitch.

"It's a time for us to enjoy the moment, be respectful to Everton Football Club, and also over the next two or three days get ourselves back to work and make sure we get ourselves really focused in the league games and the cup final that's due to come up because it's not a tap you can turn on and off, if they don't keep going, then we won't get any success."

Journalists quizzed Dalglish on whether the experience of winning the Carling Cup earlier in the campaign had given Liverpool a helping hand in overturning Everton's early advantage.

The Scot said: "I think winning anything doesn't give you anything other than a good feeling. If you can't enjoy winning, you may as well put the lid on the box - it's time up for you!

"Whether it helps or hinders lies with the individual. You can get the taste of it, think it's great for us to go forward and try to win something else because you've enjoyed the feeling so much, or you can get complacent.

"As we said after that (Carling Cup final), the most important thing for us is the players want to be more successful than what they have."

Meanwhile, Dalglish reserved words of praise for both sets of fans who impeccably observed a minute's silence ahead of the 23rd anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster and also paid a moving tribute to the late Gary Ablett.

He said: "Once again, both sets of fans were an absolute credit to the city of Liverpool. The way they conducted themselves was as good as it has been on the previous occasions I've been here.

"I'd be saying that whether we'd won or lost. It's a city that should be very proud of the football clubs that represent it."

www.liverpoolfc.tv

≈www  Top
0 replies since 14/4/2012, 17:53   21 views