008 steven gerrard -- c a p t a i n f a n t a s t i c

Stevie: That was for the 96, 14th April 2012

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 14/4/2012, 17:50

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:
;gerrard

Steven Gerrard today dedicated Liverpool’s FA Cup semi-final victory over Everton to the Hillsborough families and the memory of the 96.

Goals from Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll saw Kenny Dalglish's charges come back from 1-0 down to book their place in the FA Cup final against either Tottenham Hotspur or Chelsea.

Ahead of attending Sunday's Hillsborough Memorial Service at Anfield on Sunday, Gerrard told Liverpoolfc.tv: "We've got to dedicate this win to all of the families connected with Hillsborough.

"All of the players and the staff will be at Anfield tomorrow to pay our respects at the service, and it's so nice to be able to dedicate a win to those people."

The skipper was also quick to pay tribute to Liverpool's powers of recovery as an inspired second-half display saw the Reds fight back to claim the victory.

He added: "I thought it was a difficult match because Everton are a good team. They strengthened very well in January and everyone knows they've got a superb manager, so we knew it was going to be tough.

"I thought as the game went on we got stronger and were unfortunate to go a goal down, but our response and our character was superb and we deserved to win this match.

"I won't lie to you, we were worried going a goal down because when you do that against a good team you know it's going to be difficult, but we all needed to stick together and show what we were all about and respond to going a goal down.

"We were superb in the second half and could have gone on to win 3-1 or 4-1 in the end."

Liverpool's No.8 was also quick to praise the contribution of Carroll who netted a dramatic winner four minutes from time.

He said: "Andy's always in the spotlight because of how much we paid for him but I think on days like this one he shows his critics what he is all about.

"We are pleased to have him, he has stepped up today, he has taken the criticism on the chin and he has responded very well and is the hero getting us the winner."

Gerrard will now lead Liverpool out for the FA Cup final for the first time at Wembley next month and he admits it will be a proud moment.

The inspirational midfielder captained the Reds in 2006 against West Ham United but that was at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff while the new Wembley was being built.

He added: "The FA Cup means that bit more than the Carling Cup but to lead this football club out in any game is always a proud moment for me and it's extra special at Wembley on the big stage.

"You saw how good the atmosphere was today and I'm sure it will be similar when we play Chelsea or Tottenham, so it will be a proud day for me."

www.liverpoolf.tv

≈www  Top
0 replies since 14/4/2012, 17:50   19 views