008 steven gerrard -- c a p t a i n f a n t a s t i c

KD's Sunderland verdict, 10th March 2012

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 10/3/2012, 20:50

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:
;gerrard

Kenny Dalglish believes a moment of bad fortune was the deciding factor as Liverpool went down to a 1-0 defeat against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

Nicklas Bendtner scored the game's only goal on 56 minutes after Fraizer Campbell's initial shot had hit the post before striking the woodwork again off the back of Pepe Reina, allowing the Black Cats' striker to turn home.

Dalglish told his post-match press conference: "I don't think it was much of a game. It was always going to be a bit of good fortune, rather than a bit of brilliance, that won it.

"I think we matched all the attributes Sunderland have. They've been on a good run, but I don't think there was much in the game other than the bit of luck that decided it.

"It never happened for anyone. It wasn't much of a game. It was a bit of luck that decided the difference between a draw and a victory - and Sunderland got the good fortune."

The game was played in blustery conditions in the north east, but Dalglish insisted the weather had no influence on the outcome when asked by journalists if the wind had played a part in his side's defeat.

He said: "It was the same for both teams. The wind is always a problem - it's the worst conditions to play in for football, but everyone was playing it.

"It spoils the spectacle more than affecting one team or the other. I don't think either team would say the wind was paramount in the performances, but I think it does affect the quality of the game."

The result means Liverpool remain 10 points behind fourth-place Arsenal, who play Newcastle United at the Emirates on Monday night.

However, with 11 matches still to play for his side in the Barclays Premier League, Dalglish remained adamant no-one within the Reds camp would be giving up in the chase for Champions League football as they look to add to their Carling Cup success.

The boss said: "We'll say what we said after the very first game of the season - we'll play all the matches, count the points up and see where we finish up.

"If we were to get fourth spot it would be fantastic for the football club, but winning the Carling Cup was fantastic and getting into the sixth round of the FA Cup is more than where we've been for a little while.

"I don't think the performances we've had, especially at home, merit the number of points we've got. We just need to keep going, do what we do well, keep our mouths shut, not feel sorry for ourselves and try to get as many points on the board as we can.

"It's a great credit to the seven new lads who have come in to have put something (Carling Cup) on the board in their first season. There are not many places with that many changes that get success like that.

"Although we lost today, I thought we matched them and then when we went behind I thought it was a good reaction from everyone to try and rescue something from the game."

www.liverpoolfc.tv

≈www  Top
0 replies since 10/3/2012, 20:50   15 views