008 steven gerrard -- c a p t a i n f a n t a s t i c

Kenny: I wish he was 23, 31st January 2012

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 1/2/2012, 00:07

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:
;gerrard

Kenny Dalglish revealed how he wishes Craig Bellamy was 23 and not 32 after watching another outstanding performance from the striker against Wolves on Tuesday night – but insisted it was a quality team display that helped Liverpool to a 3-0 win.

Bellamy joined Andy Carroll and Dirk Kuyt on the scoresheet in the second half at Molineux as the Reds secured their first league success of 2012 with a convincing display.

The Wales international was one of many impressive performers for Liverpool - and Dalglish was keen to emphasise it was a team effort that secured victory for his side.

Dalglish told his post-match press conference: "I thought it was a very professional, high-quality performance from the players.

"It was a fantastic reaction to the two big games they had played previously and commitment in making this game the most important one because it was next up.

"The way they started the game and the way they applied themselves was a great credit to them."

He continued: "We were delighted with everyone that played - and everyone made a contribution. It was great for Andy to score a goal, Craig scored a fantastic goal and Dirk slotted a good team goal away as well.

"For us, there is no 'I' in team. Everyone made a contribution and we were delighted for them."

On the performance of Bellamy, who took his tally for the season so far to nine with his 61st minute strike, Dalglish said: "Craig is fantastic. I wish his numbers were the other way around and instead of 32 he was 23!

"He doesn't do anything that surprises you because he really prepares himself well for matches, he knows what the best thing for himself to do within the framework of the team is and when he gets it, you expect something to happen.

"Even at 3-0 up, I thought the boys deserved great credit for being as respectful as they were to Wolves.

"Even at that (scoreline), they were professional in how they went about their job. They were not trying to be clever, they were not trying clever flicks here or there, they just got on with their job and I think they deserve a lot of credit for that.

"Bellers kept working when it was 3-0, and everyone kept working, closing them down and making it difficult for them.

"The wee man (Bellamy) has certainly been fantastic for us."

The result followed on from a 2-2 draw with Manchester City at Anfield that booked a place in the Carling Cup final and a 2-1 FA Cup fourth-round success over Manchester United on Saturday.

Dalglish admits he can't fault the way his players have responded since the recent 3-1 defeat at Bolton Wanderers.

He said: "As we said, the next game is the most important one and from the games you play, a good performance, result and progress in a cup competition always gives you a little bit of confidence.

"The way they (the players) have responded since Bolton has been a credit to them."

The win moved Liverpool up to fifth place in the Barclays Premier League table, four points behind Chelsea, who were held to a 1-1 draw at Swansea City on Tuesday.

Dalglish said: "We can only look after ourselves. We can be the greatest help to ourselves.

"We can help more than anyone else, so we'll only look after ourselves, try and get our own house in order and if somebody wants to make a contribution it will be gratefully received."

Meanwhile, Dalglish expects to have Steven Gerrard available for Liverpool's next outing against Tottenham Hotspur on Monday night.

The skipper missed the trip to the Midlands, but the boss is expecting to be able to call on his services for Spurs' visit to Anfield.

Dalglish quipped: "Steven has had a rest as well today, so that will be another couple of nights where I won't get much sleep trying to pick a team for Tottenham on Monday!"

Elsewhere, journalists quizzed Dalglish on the latest transfer rumours as the window prepares to shut at midnight.

The boss replied: "We came out yesterday and told you there would be nothing happening, so it's a wee bit insulting when you don't believe us - and I don't see why we'd have any need to be anything other than truthful and say there was nothing happening."

www.liverpoolfc.tv

≈www  Top
0 replies since 1/2/2012, 00:07   14 views