008 steven gerrard -- c a p t a i n f a n t a s t i c

Stevie: 'That's what I missed', 12th January 2012

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 12/1/2012, 17:40

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:
;gerrard

Steven Gerrard reflected on his winning goal in Wednesday's 1-0 Carling Cup semi-final, first-leg victory over Manchester City and insisted: 'That's what I worked so hard for.'

The Liverpool captain marked the completion of his second 90 minutes in succession with the only goal of the game at the Etihad Stadium - a coolly converted penalty after just 13 minutes.

It was Gerrard's third goal in since returning to action on Boxing Day, and having missed much of 2011-12 due to injury, the 31-year-old insists he feels as though he is firmly back on track.

He said: "It's nice to be back. I feel like a footballer again - I've had a difficult year. It's games like this that I've missed, games like this I've been patient for and worked so hard to get back for.

"I got the winning goal, but it was all about the team. We defended superbly from back to front. We weren't effective in the second half, we know that, but we were playing one of the big powers in the world and sometimes you've got to do the ugly stuff.

"We've done that - maybe the pretty stuff will come at Anfield in two weeks' time."

After an impressive attacking first-half performance, Liverpool had to resist heavy spells of pressure from City in order to clinch victory.

But while delighted to hold a one-goal advantage to take into the second leg at Anfield in a fortnight's time, Gerrard insists the tie is far from over.

He added: "It was a great performance. That's what we wanted to do - come here, try and get a clean sheet and a goal.

"But there is no way this tie is over. We know we're in for a very tough match in two weeks' time, so the job is half done.

"The tie is finely balanced and it's set up for a cracking match at Anfield. I thought we were the better side in the first half and they were the better side in the second half, but there is still 90 minutes to play.

"I am sure it will be a cracker at Anfield. It's only advantage us, it's still not over."

www.liverpoolfc.tv

≈www  Top
0 replies since 12/1/2012, 17:40   14 views