008 steven gerrard -- c a p t a i n f a n t a s t i c

Stevie: Bring on City, 31st December 2011

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 31/12/2011, 13:46

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:
;gerrard

Steven Gerrard insists Liverpool will have no fear of facing Manchester City in the first game of the New Year after the skipper helped the Reds return to winning ways by netting the final goal of 2011 in the 3-1 win over Newcastle United on Friday night.

Kenny Dalglish's side moved up to fifth place in the Barclays Premier League, level on points with fourth-placed Chelsea, and our No.8 believes the Reds will approach the clash at the Etihad Stadium with confidence.

Tuesday's meeting will be the first of three against City in January with the two-legged Carling Cup semi-final also looming.

"Bring it on," said Gerrard. "They are a fantastic team who have started the season really well but we've got nothing to fear.

"We showed against them here a couple of weeks ago that we more than matched them.

"These are exciting games, we don't fear these and these are the games as a player you want to play in. I can't wait."

Liverpool's form away from Anfield has been excellent so far this season including wins against the likes of Chelsea (twice), Arsenal and Everton.

Gerrard is hoping his side can continue that in 2012.

He added: "We've been very strong on the road. It's at home that we haven't got the results our football has deserved but we will go to City full of confidence, we will give it our best shot and see where it takes us."

The No.8 registered his 142nd goal in a red shirt during the win over Alan Pardew's side and was quick to pay tribute to Jay Spearing and Jordan Henderson for the part they played in setting up his opportunity.

"I thought Jay and Jordan were fantastic and they did really well for the goal. It was a good team performance and it was very positive," he said.

"It's fantastic to be back, just to be involved with the lads again out there on the pitch and to be playing football - which I love doing. To get a win and score was a perfect return for me.

"We haven't had the rewards we've deserved of late but we've been battering away at the door, creating loads of chances and opposition 'keepers have been getting man of the match against us, but tonight we got what we deserved and thoroughly deserved our win.

"It was a fantastic way to end 2011. For me personally the year has been an absolute nightmare but for the team it was great to finish it on a high and now we need to push on, keep building and putting up a good fight for the top four."

www.liverpoolfc.tv

≈www  Top
0 replies since 31/12/2011, 13:46   11 views