008 steven gerrard -- c a p t a i n f a n t a s t i c

Mixed emotions for Gerrard, 16th October 2011

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 16/10/2011, 16:47

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:
;gerrard

Steven Gerrard revealed his delight at making a first start of 2011-12 in Saturday's 1-1 draw with Manchester United - but admitted Liverpool were left disappointed by collecting only a point.

The captain marked a first full appearance since last season's corresponding fixture in March in typical fashion as he curled home a 68th minute opener from a free-kick.

However, United snatched a point when Javier Hernandez netted with a close-range header 10 minutes from time to ensure the contest ended level.

Nonetheless, Gerrard insists there are plenty of positives to be derived from the Reds' display.

He told Liverpoolfc.tv: "It was almost the perfect way to mark my return to the team.

"To be leading against Manchester United with 10 minutes to go, the lads are a bit gutted we didn't hang on and take maximum points.

"But they are a very good side and very dangerous, so we're happy with the point. It's a point gained rather than two lost."

Liverpool carved out a succession of chances in the second half, even after Hernandez's leveller, as Luis Suarez and Dirk Kuyt both went close.

Substitute Jordan Henderson could also consider himself unfortunate not to have scored a dramatic injury-time winner when he first saw a clever lob clawed over the crossbar by goalkeeper David de Gea before he headed a Stewart Downing cross narrowly off target.

Gerrard believes the fact the Reds were left frustrated by only collecting a point demonstrates how far the team have progressed.

"I thought the first half was very flat," he said. "I think both sides were anxious and a bit nervous, and maybe had too much respect for each other.

"In the second half, based on chances created, we are disappointed we didn't take maximum points. That is credit to us and goes to show how far we've come.

"Without a doubt there are positives to be taken. We're happy with the performance. We could have easily nicked the game 2-1 or even 3-1.

"We had chances with Luis and Dirk, and the 'keeper pulled off a world-class save from Jordan. We did very well and did enough to win the game."

Having tallied just under an hour's worth of action since returning to the team following a groin problem, Gerrard completed the entire 90 minutes against United.

The skipper admits he's delighted to have clocked up a good run out - but feels there is more work to be done until he reaches peak fitness.

Gerrard said: "I'm stiff and tired - but that's to be expected. The physios and medical staff knew that (would happen).

"That's what I've got to do to push on and gain maximum fitness. I still need two or three 90s under my belt to get back to 100 per cent, but I am very pleased at how my groin held up and how my body felt for the first 90. Really pleased."

Gerrard's goal was met by wild celebrations inside Anfield - not least from the 31-year-old himself.

He added: "It was a great feeling (to see the ball hit the back of the net). The last six months have been really frustrating. To watch the lads from the stands is not what I like doing - I like to be out there where I can have an impact on games.

"To be out there against United experiencing the emotions against Manchester United - the biggest game against our big rivals - was very enjoyable for me."

www.liverpoolfc.tv

≈www  Top
0 replies since 16/10/2011, 16:47   14 views