008 steven gerrard -- c a p t a i n f a n t a s t i c

Gerrard eyeing derby delight, 30th September 2011

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 30/9/2011, 12:46

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:
;gerrard

Ahead of this weekend's Merseyside derby at Goodison, we catch up with Steven Gerrard to get the skipper's pre-match thoughts.

Firstly, Steven, you've had a couple of run-outs over the past couple of weeks - how are you feeling?

I'm feeling okay, I'm improving day by day, getting fitter and sharper and now it's all about me trying to get as much game time as possible in the coming weeks to get myself up to one hundred per cent.

Before your comeback you were saying you felt fitter and stronger than ever, but at the same time has there been a sense of relief that you've come through the challenges?

Yes, of course. When you come back from a big injury and a big operation it's all about overcoming hurdles that are put in front of you and I did say I felt fit and strong and the groin was fine in general, but I still had to go out and play for the first time in front of a big crowd and come through it. I played 15 minutes at Brighton where I felt okay, and then against Wolves I felt a little bit better again so I hope that's going to be the case where I keep improving week by week, and I'm sure it will be because I've missed an awful lot of football but now I'm back and I want more game time. Kenny knows that and everyone knows I'm desperate to get out there and play.

Despite your desperation to play, how appreciative are you of the support from Kenny and the staff who have said they will continue to bring you back in a careful manner?

totally understand that. With experience I have come to learn about my own body and I haven't been out for two or three weeks with a hamstring or a calf injury. I've had a reconstruction of my groin and it is going to take time. To be fair to Kenny and the medical staff, they have handled me perfectly so far and I'm sure they'll do the same in the coming weeks. It's important that I don't force it, they don't force it and we don't push it too hard, but I am at the stage now where the only way I'm going to get my match sharpness, match fitness and get back to the form I want to play at is if I get game time. But I also understand it's got to be at the right time as well.

How much do you owe to all the people - inside and outside of the club - who have helped you over the last six months?

Everyone around me has helped me immensely. The physios and the doctors here have helped rehabilitate me superbly, but also my family at home who I have probably been a nightmare around because I'm not the best when I'm injured, and Kenny has been sensible from day one and been by my side, and also my teammates. Although I haven't been involved and have been in the treatment room, they've kept me involved and I've gone and supported them at most of the games.

So we're looking ahead to Everton this weekend - is derby week still a special week as we build up to the game?

I think it's the best week of the season. These are the two favourite games for me with Manchester United a close second. Because of the Merseyside rivalry and the buzz you get from beating them, it's probably my favourite game, so I'm looking forward to it. We'll just have to wait and see what Kenny decides to do with the team and whether I'm going to be in from the start or on the bench, but whatever he decides I'll be ready.

It's possible a number of players will make their derby debuts this weekend - will you be speaking to them before the game?

I think when you play football at this level you realise what derbies are about. I think all of the players, although not experiencing the Merseyside derby, will have played in big derbies throughout their careers. I'm sure when they get out there and hear the atmosphere at Goodison, it'll hit home what it's all about. Of course the leaders in the dressing room have also got to help spread that message that this is a massive game, not for bragging rights but because it's a big three points for the club to move further up the table.

Are you impressed with the way the new lads have settled in since the start of the season?

Yes, and I think as a team we've done well. We've bought well in the summer. I think Charlie has settled really well and has put in some good performances, Jordan is young and getting better, so I think in general we're going well and Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez still feel like new signings because they came in January. The squad is looking very strong.

What sort of test are you expecting at Goodison on Saturday?

It's always tough. Obviously they have home advantage and so are going to have massive support, but we go there with no fear. We've got a very good derby record over the years at Goodison Park, so I don't see why we can't go there with confidence, play our own stuff, not get involved in a fight and I think if we can stay in the game in the first 15-20 minutes we'll come through and win it.

To keep that good record at Goodison going, what are the qualities we'll need to show on the day?

We need to play without fear. Sometimes in derby games you can get involved in the fight and forget to play. It becomes a battle and a tussle rather than us settling and playing our own game. We like to pass and move, attack quick and stay compact when we haven't got the ball, so if we can settle really quickly into the game I'm really confident we can get the right result.

How much did the win over Wolves help lift everyone after a couple of disappointing results at Stoke and Tottenham?

Before the Tottenham game everyone was confident that we could go there and get a result, but we lost a couple of men and were under pressure from the first whistle. After that, the fans were down and the players were down. It was one of those games that you needed to get out of the system as quickly as possible and there's no better way than to qualify for the next round of the cup and then put in a good performance against Wolves, which we did.

We're in fifth place going into the derby - do you take much notice of the table at this early stage of the season?

I think it is too early but you do look at the table after every game. At this stage of the season three points makes a massive difference with everyone up there being so close together. When you know there's an international break looming, ten days is a long time to go into if you haven't performed and you get a defeat, even more so in a Merseyside derby. It will be fantastic if come Saturday night we can all celebrate a derby win, a good performance and then all the lads can go off and hopefully do well for their countries. Three points in a derby is all the motivation you need. We've experienced it before and it feels good, so we want the same feeling on Saturday.

Finally, you mention the international break, how do you feel about playing for England in Montenegro considering the stage you are at in your comeback?

I think everyone knows I'm still not one hundred per cent match fit. I have only probably had two twelve minute games. I'm not really sure how much I'm going to play against Everton so, in my opinion, it's probably still a bit too early. I don't make the decisions, those decisions are down to the England manager, whether he picks me or not. I'm sure he'll have a discussion with Kenny and between them they can decide what the right thing is for me, but in my opinion there are other players out there who are match fit who are probably more suitable for that game, but we'll have to wait and see. If I'm called up, I'll deal with it.

www.liverpoolfc.tv

≈www  Top
0 replies since 30/9/2011, 12:46   14 views