008 steven gerrard -- c a p t a i n f a n t a s t i c

Steven Gerrard's Wembley dream, 23rd September 2011

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 23/9/2011, 16:35

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:
;gerrard

Steven Gerrard has set his sights on a first Liverpool appearance at the new Wembley.

The midfielder brought an end to six months of injury frustration when he came on as a late substitute in Wednesday's Carling Cup triumph at Brighton.

The Reds have failed to reach a final since finishing as Champions League runners-up back in 2007 and the skipper is now keen to play his part in putting an end to that run.

Gerrard said: "We haven't been to a major cup final for a long time, so we've got to take every cup competition seriously - especially when there is no Europe, which makes it a bit easier to put out stronger sides.

"Kenny has assembled a fantastic squad and we've got a couple of players for each position, so even when he mixes it up and rests people, we've still got a strong side.

"When you play for Liverpool, it's all about winning trophies. That's why we've got to take every cup seriously and that was the message from the manager before we beat Brighton.

"And being captain as well, there's nothing more I want than to go to Wembley with the rest of the lads and lift a cup."

Gerrard admits it has been difficult for him to watch from the sidelines as Kenny Dalglish has helped to rejuvenate the club as a whole.

The England international has been more than impressed by the brand of football Liverpool have played at times this season and is delighted by the feel-good factor reverberating around Anfield.

"I've had to watch from the sidelines while Kenny has been rebuilding the side and I've been really happy with what I've seen," he said.

"Since he's come in there have been a lot of happy faces around the training ground, the supporters are happy as well and 90 per cent of the football has been fantastic.

"Take away the performance at Tottenham and it's been exactly what we've been hoping for - that has made me even more desperate to get back in among the lads.

"It's been a long time, too long really, but it was fantastic to be out there in the kit again - and it was a nice win as well.

"I'm not the best when I'm out injured and watching games, so it's been very frustrating. But I've tried my best to attend most games, show my support for the lads and try to be an influence.

"It's nice to see the team progressing well, the signings we've made have been good and, from top to bottom, everybody at the club is smiling."

www.liverpoolfc.tv

≈www  Top
0 replies since 23/9/2011, 16:35   9 views