008 steven gerrard -- c a p t a i n f a n t a s t i c

'Duo reflect what LFC stands for', 17th September 2011

« Older   Newer »
view post Posted on 17/9/2011, 16:36

~ dagger's fans <3. ~

Group:
;gerrard

Kenny Dalglish believes Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher are as determined as ever to write new chapters in their illustrious Liverpool careers.

The duo have been mainstays in the Reds starting XI for over a decade and have clocked up countless honours during that time.

Dalglish is convinced they can still play a pivotal role in the club's future and reckons they can pass the traditions that have served them so well on to the squad's newcomers.

"The two boys reflect everything the football club stands for," said Dalglish.

"They are steeped in it. If they can pass on their knowledge and the feeling of the fans to the new players that come in, then we will be all the better for it.

"Maybe unintelligent people need to be reminded about it but our people know what they have done for the football club.

"Jamie is very comfortable with what he has done, Steven is too. I'm sure the people that follow us will be just as happy about their contributions."

In a little over eight months, Dalglish has revamped Liverpool and established a squad packed full of quality.

He accepts competition for places will be stronger than ever and refutes suggestions that anyone will try to live off past achievements.

"Nobody will get picked for their history," he said.

"The people who have been involved with the club for a long time would expect that. They would not want it.

"They have got extremely high standards set for themselves. If they didn't, they wouldn't be here and wouldn't have had the success they have had.

"I don't think they would expect to be picked because they have been here for two weeks longer than anyone else."

Dalglish will once again call upon Jamie Carragher to skipper his side at Tottenham, should Steven Gerrard remain unavailable.

The defender was harshly penalised for the spot-kick that saw Stoke take all three points at the Britannia Stadium last weekend, and the Reds boss has been quick to back the 33-year-old.

"Jamie Carragher will do me just fine the way he is," Dalglish said.

"I've got no problem with any of the boys. I don't know what I can say to you about Jamie because there is nothing that I would like to change about him."

Liverpool's style of play so far this season has led to praise from many observers.

Dalglish puts it down to the methods that served him so well as a player and is hopeful his side will show how far they have come since they last played Spurs (a 2-0 home defeat), when they go head-to-head on Sunday afternoon.

"It is up to the players to show their strength on the pitch," Dalglish added.

"We will try our best to improve on that performance from the game in May and try to improve the result.

"We will always try to entertain, we will always try our best. I can only follow the philosophy in which I was brought up playing and I cannot be anybody else. That was the way I was brought up."

www.liverpoolfc.tv

≈www  Top
0 replies since 17/9/2011, 16:36   21 views